Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Bitter cold/whimpy me

Yes, I am whimpy. I dislike the cold so very much! And it is only November. It will be May before we thaw out! Today was only 37 and tonight is supposed to be 29. We may even get snow flurries! Now, the snow I am anxious for the kids to see. But the cold - ugh. I am constantly shivering. My "economic" husband makes us run the space heater instead of burning all of our oil all the time! We do run it at night, but in the evening - it is space heaters! I sit right in front of my little "fire". I will be greatful for the summer!

The things I do like about the winter is hot chocoloate, warm tea, warm fires. Long sleeve clothes that for the last 8 years we have had no reason to wear. Seeing the kids faces when they play in the snow. Those are some pluses.

The weekend finished off nicely. Mat arrived home safely Sunday around lunch time. After he got home and settled, he and I left to get some Christmas shopping done for the kids. Then we went to the movies. We saw the new James Bond movie "Quantum Solace". It was pretty good. James Bond isn't bad to look at. So that makes it bearable! Then we went back to do a little more shopping and went out to eat, and then came home.

Monday was back to work and school - my parents were still here, so the babies were still at home and Arlington only had to get to Kindergarten. We just had dinner at home Monday night and relaxed and played Wii. Even my parents got in on the fun! My mom and I finished the spirit wear orders for my school (she and my dad had worked on it on Saturday and we were just double checking everything). We had a great turn out for the spirit wear and that was really great!

Today was a long day. I had an early morning meeting and saw 46 kids today. Yesterday I saw 45. My numbers are climbing again. We had 2, 4 day weeks, and this is a 5 day week and the kids know it. They started off with a bang, and were no less gung ho on going home today! But I held them off and only sent two home. I promise - if they are REALLY sick, they go. But otherwise - back to class! They get the slightest "different feeling" and they are in my office demanding me to call their parents to come and get them. But I hold off because most moms (me included probably!) - once they talk to their kids, they have guilt and come and get them!

I had one cute kid today come in and say,
"Do you have a cure for a runny nose?"
"Yes", I say "It is called a Kleenex".

Seriously?? What did this kid tell his teacher he was coming to the nurses office for? Starting in Janurary, I am going to have a little form for each teacher to send every time the child comes to the nurse to mark what the child is coming down for - it is a simple form -they just have to check a box. That way, if the story changes by the time they get to me, then I will know how they got out of class. AND, then I can send the communication back to the teacher. I hope this does two things 1)limit the amount of kids the teachers send to me for the ridiculous (hang hail, kleenex, ice pack for a 3 day old bruise), and 2) let the teacher's know what the kids are telling ME when they arrive so they can have a better handle on their "frequent fliers". Most of my teachers are GREAT - really drill the kids before they come to me. But some send EVERYONE - several times a day. I LOVE seeing the kids, don't get me wrong. It is just frustrating to have an office full of kids that don't really need the nurse when I have so much work to do. :)

Anyway, I don't have any pictures today because my parents left today and accidentally took my camera cord with them to Pennsylvania! They will mail it back and I will have pictures to share hopefully by the weekend.

So, I have three things I wanted to share with you.

1. November is national adoption month. This is something very close to our hearts, of course! In 1976, the governor of Massachusetts, Michael Dukakis, announced an Adoption Week for his state. Later that same year President Gerald Ford proclaimed that Adoption Week would be celebrated nationally. As more and more states started to participate in Adoption Week it became clear that more time was needed for holding events and in 1990 National Adoption Week became National Adoption Month.
Today National Adoption Month is celebrated during the month of November. The celebration usually includes National Adoption Day with courthouses throughout the nation participating and hundreds of adoptions being finalized simultaneously.
National Adoption Month is a time to celebrate family and to bring about awareness that there are hundreds of thousands of children in foster homes awaiting adoption. States, communities, and agencies hold events during the month to bring the need for families into public view. For information on what you can do to help the children who are waiting for a family contact your local state agency.

This years theme is "Answering the Call - You don't have to be perfect to be a perfect parent. There are thousands of teens in foster care who would love to put up with you." This year's theme of adopting teens from foster care builds on the Ad Council's new public service announcement (PSA) campaign of the Children's Bureau, the Adoption Exchange Association, and The Collaboration to AdoptUsKids. The main focus of National Adoption Month has been and continues to be foster care adoptions. There are approximately 129,000 children in foster care in the United States waiting for adoptive homes.

2. November is also national diabetes month. I have a juvenielle diabetic at my school and diabetes was a passion of mine as a pediatric nurse while working at Johns Hopkins. November is American Diabetes Month®, a time to bring even greater awareness and attention to the seriousness of diabetes, its deadly complications, and the importance of proper diabetes control. This year, the American Diabetes Association is asking the American public, "Why should you care about diabetes?"
Throughout the month, the American Diabetes Association will conduct activities – and encourage others across the country – to get involved in efforts to raise awareness about diabetes and its serious complications such as heart disease, stroke, kidney disease, blindness and amputations. My plan for the spring is to organzie a walk-a-thon for juvenielle diabetes. If there are walk-a-thons, or donation centers in your area for diabetes, please considering participating!!

3. My Stuff Bag Foundation - this is an AWESOME foundation that was brought to my attention by Matt at Matt's blog. The My Stuff Bags Foundation provides comfort and a message of hope to abused and neglected children entering crisis and foster care through its unique program, My Stuff Bags. Did you know that around 300,000
(yes 300,000) children across AMERICA need to be rescued each year from dangerous home environments? Sadly, most of them have the leave their situations without any of their belongings - no special items for them to hold on to. You can read the story about My Stuff Bags here: My Stuff Bags
Click on the charity badge below to see how you can help!!!
please consider donating to this charity...

You know that children are my passion, and as a pediatric nurse for 11 years, I can't imagine what better population to help then those children who have nothing. Our system in America is broken enough - please consider helping these children get a little peace in an already awful situation. Thanks Matt!!

Everyone have a great week! I am sorry again about the pictures! But in acutality, this post was about three passions of mine, and it deserves to stand alone. We are a fortunate family with little concerns. If you don't give to charity, now is a good time to start. Remember - there is always someone less fortunate that you are.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I enjoyed your post -- we stood at the bus stop today commisserating at the onset of the cold weather! As a teacher, I laughed at the stories of the children visiting you! Each year, every classroom gets one or two. It is actually a tribute to you that the children like to visit!! Happy Thanksgiving!