Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Happy Early Thanksgiving!

Happy Early Thanksgiving everyone! This is a short week for all of us. Tomorrow the kids and I only have a half a day of school/work. Arlington actually doesn't have Kindergarten tomorrow because of the 1/2 day - so she will stay at daycare until I can leave work at 1pm.

The kids have been BONKERS at work these last two days. I had one kid visit me 5 times yesterday. She just couldn't stay in her seat! And I can't even blame it on her teacher. She came in from recess, and lunch, and Spanish, and class, and art! She is good. She REALLY wanted to go home, but it wasn't going to happen - no matter how hard she tried!

Yesterday was also a first for me - here is the scenario:

Principal (calmly comes to my office - I LOVE her): "Jennifer, we have a little problem. Apparently Johnny Third Grader has eaten his lunch ticket".

Me: (starring at her), "I'm sorry, what did you say?"

Principal: "Well, Johnny Third Grader has a substitute teacher today, and every time he has a substitute he does something like this for attention. SO, he ate his lunch ticket"

Me: Okay....... are you sure he swallowed it?

Principal: Apparently so. The substitute watched him chew it and swallow it.

Me: (thinking why the sub didn't STOP him), "well, can I see him?"

Principal: We will send him down and then can you send him to my office so that I can call his mother?"

So I proceed to call my supervisor nurse who - after she finishes laughing at the crazy things that keep happening to me - says, "probably call poison control, tell him to drink a lot of water, and call his mother."

Now, this ticket is a paper ticket - like the ones you get for a drawing. Poison control stated he would live, although after telling his mom what he did, I think she was going to kill him when he got home.

So he comes to my office:

Johnny Third Grader: "I am sorry I ate my lunch ticket. I didn't mean to swallow it".

Sigh.


So, that was my Monday morning. Things are never dull at school, I admit. Today's excitement was a little girl who has bad food allergies who was brought to my office around 12:30 covered - and I mean COVERED in hives. After giving her some benadryl, we tried to get to the bottom of what she might have eaten, but came up short. Her mom did come and get her, but she had the teachers in a tizzy!

My kids are doing great. Arlington is excited to have 4 days off from school. Our plans are to decorate for Christmas, wrap presents, and just relax. We aren't going anywhere for Thanksgiving this year, since we are going to Pennsylvania for 10 days for Christmas. Arlington helped me do some Christmas shopping the other day for her brother and sister and that was a lot of fun.

Mat took Arlington to see "Bolt" on Sunday. It was the day where her elementary school had rented out the theater so that the kids could see the movie for free. Go PTO! They had a great time. She sat with a few of her friends and Mat said the movie was pretty good.

Oh, and speaking of movies, Mat and I did see Twilight Saturday night. Now, Mat will tell you it was awful and cheesy. I will agree with the cheesy part and the bad acting in some areas. BUT, overall, it stuck to the book, which was impressive. I think they have picked the wrong people for Edward and Bella's characters. But the others were just fine. There were some funny parts, and the theater was packed. I love watching a movie in a packed theater. It was no Harry Potter, but it was cute.

Finley is doing fine. She and Cainan were playing tonight and it was cute. Finley said to Cainan (showing him a little people), "What is this Cainan?" Cainan said "people". Finley said, "Yes, a people - good job Cainan". They are too funny! Cainan hasn't thrown an outright tantrum since our guest left Sunday morning, and that is great. Hopefully he will settle down. Even Finley's fits have settled a bit. I tell ya - age 3 is WORSE, though! I know what is coming.

So, since we are close to Thanksgiving, I am going to share what I am thankful for. I started a "What I am Thankful for" kite in my office. Each kid that comes into the office fills out a bow to add to our kite - filled with something they are thankful for. Some of them are really interesting (Thankful for the Incredible Hulk), and some are very touching (thankful for their teachers, and me!!). This season - really ANY time during the year - focus should remain on helping those who are less fortunate. Always remember that there is someone out there worse off than you. Nothing makes me happier than giving to other people. If I could, I would give my whole salary to save one child, save one person, change someone's life. I think life should be lead by paying it forward. I have been given so much - I have SO much. Someone else deserves happiness just like I have. EVERYONE deserves a helping hand. Whether that be a hand up or a hand out. Whatever the situation lends it self too. We should ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS put others before ourselves.

This Thanksgiving I am thankful for:

- my family
- my job
- my friends
- my comfortable life
- my health
- my families health
- every day that I matter to someone
- my worries are small

What are YOU thankful for???

Here are some pictures. Only one kid picture this week - my camera was charging! But I did take the camera to work today and took a few pictures of my little (ahem) office. The only thing I didn't take was my little bathroom! Enjoy! Have a WONDERFUL thanksgiving and remember how lucky you are! I will see you Saturday!

No comments: