Monday, May 16, 2011

Where in the world......

is the Pletcher family MOVING to now?
As some of you know, we are moving. Again.

Mat was offered a great job at Pfizer in the Cambridge, MA area, so we are going to move to Massachusetts.
We love Connecticut. We love the area we live in, and the people we have met. We love our jobs, our friends, the kid's friends.

Our family is making this move,  because we believe it is the best decision for us in the long term, that it gives us the best chance to let the kids grow up in one house, and it was too good of a professional opportunity for Mat.
We gave this move a lot of thought. We weighed the pros and the cons. We considered all of our options and after a ton of flip-flopping and sleepless nights we decided to make the tough decision to go. But we have a hope that this next move will be the last one for awhile.

The new position Mat is taking is the Director of Medical Genetics for Pfizer's Orphan and Genetic Diseases Research Unit. Given that Finley's LCA is an Orphan and Genetic Disease, there is a personal aspect to our decision to make the move as well.
This move is only 1 1/2 hours from our current location. So we have hopes that the wonderful friends we have made here will still be part of our lives. I can't imagine not making time to come and see them as often as I can.

So, we are in a state now where we are getting ready to list our house for sale, and buy a new house in Massachusetts. We are completely crazy. I haven't had weekends to blog because we have been house hunting and preparing our existing house for sale.

But now that the word is out, we will fill you in on the details as things move along.

My biggest concern is moving Finley and her services, of course. We are spoiled with BESB here in Connecticut, and Massachusetts doesn't have that department. I am not sure how it works yet, but I am sure we will find out soon. I have Finley's IEP, so it will give us, and the school, a starting point. Once we pick our house, I will visit the school with the IEP and see what they have to say. I am going to have to be a little type B about this (which is going to be hard for me to do) because we are moving over the summer. I will keep you all posted.

Positive thinking and jumping with two feet. As we make our 9th move to our 6th state, we look to all the possibilities it will bring. And we hope, as always, that this move will be our last.

Onward!

1 comment:

Penny said...

Good Luck with moving. The benefit is you will be very close to the Perkins school and they have some great outreach programs. I have heard nothing but good things in MA. Like any state its a a district by district thing. In the state of mass they have I think its called the commission of the blind? http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eohhs2agencylanding&L=4&L0=Home&L1=Government&L2=Departments+and+Divisions&L3=Massachusetts+Commission+for+the+Blind&sid=Eeohhs2

I know they play some part in all of this.. I heard they offer a lot of support (more then we get in NH) Your only going to be about an hour form me (not counting that wonderful traffic so we should set up a meet up :) )