Sunday, October 2, 2011

A Canning we will go

A few weeks ago, the male head of house* in our household decided that canning my grandmother's unbelieveably good pasta sauce would be a great fundraiser for the Holiday Bazaar we are going to participating in.

*name has been with held to protect the crazy.

I looked at him and thought this was a great idea in theory, but not in practice.  I know it takes about 3 hours to make one batch of sauce, and so, I wasn't sure this would be a path we would like to take.

I talked to my grandma who has canned tomatoes, but never her sauce, and she too was not sure it was going to be a good idea.  Would it work?  Yes, she said.  But she gave me some other suggestions that might be better choices time wise.

Why did I not listen to the wisest person I know?

Today, I gave into said male head of house and told him we would try it.  I started the adventure at 11am, reading the instruction on canning before getting started on making the sauce.

I made one batch of sauce.  To me, this always seems like a lot of sauce.  At 3pm, I was finished with the sauce, had the other pots filled with the two cans I was going to practice with heating away (you have to heat the cans before you put hot sauce in them) the sauce on another burner, and the biggest pot in the world - the canner - on the 4th burner (and part of the 1,2, 3 burners as well.  Sucker was huge).  We were ready.
 We put the sauce into jar number one.  My plan was to fill 2 jars and keep the rest for us to eat on our dinner that night.   Mat filled the first jar and said "um.....that is almost all the sauce".  I turned around in disbelief.  How could this be?  This recipe makes a huge amount of sauce!  Or at least it did in my head.

In reality, I bought quart jars and the recipe is about 1 1/2 quarts.  Huh.  I spent 4 hours on this little canning job, and this is what I got.
Seriously.  1 full can of sauce.  I had to boil it for 45 minutes to "seal" the jar.  Now it sits on my counter - lonely and sad.

I called my grandmother afterwards and we had a good chuckle about the whole thing.  Not sure if this will be something we try again.  We are going to let the sauce sit on our shelf for a week or two, and then taste it.  Hopefully we won't die.

Canning seemed like a fun idea to bottle a product that my grandmother should have sold to the retailers years ago so that we could all be millionares and retire early.  If it was successful, we will be proud of us.  But 4 hours for one can?  That isn't going to bring in much profit for our RDH12 Fund for Sight.

Ah well.  We will have fun again with it, I am sure.  I think I might stick to my grandmother's suggestions for bottling her sauce and leave canning for other things.

In other news:

Kids broke out the playdough today.  Doesn't happen often because I hate the mess.  But it has been a rainy and cold weekend, and they were bored.  They had a good time with it.



We made pumpkin chocolate chip muffins this morning.  Yum.

I made 5 braille shirts tonight.  I have one more to go tomorrow and then I will be caught up.  Remember - if you would like to order one, please go to:


Print out and mail to me!

Here are the pictures of the ones I made today.  The pink one - this is the back - it is drying, so I couldn't turn it over.  And the green one has a wet spot - I was wiping it up - so forgive that.

This one says:Steelers

 This one says:

Finley's Fighters (in contracted braille)
This one says:

Retired
This one says:

I'm fighting for Finley (in contracted braille)

This one says:
Ho Ho Ho

See you tomorrow!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would like to add as your Mother the following words:

I TOLD YOU SO!!!!