Friday, October 14, 2011

Out goes Grammy, in comes Gramma

Today my mom left to go home.  It was great having her here.  We got a lot of things done and I am grateful for the help.  And the company.  And the breakfast out each morning.  Whatever will I do now?
This evening my mother and father-in-law arrived to round off Mat's trip.  Mat will be back Sunday night, so it is nice to have the company.  I will be glad to see him - he has been gone a long time.
Today is has done nothing but rain.  We are slowly creeping toward winter and are wishing for nicer weather to enjoy our last few days outside.  Tennis was canceled as well today, so we had to fill our evening with other activities.
Finley brought home a cool ball from school today.  Her teacher for the vision impaired (TVI) knew she was struggling with low light.  Finley's evening soccer was becoming a bit of a problem as we have gotten deeper into fall.  So - she got a "beep ball".  It beeps so she always knows where it is.  She has been playing with it all evening, and I have to admit it is driving me a bit crazy.  But what a great thing!  She wants to take it tomorrow morning to soccer practice, but I am hoping to talk her into waiting until next week when she really needs it.  We will see.


A really nice article was written in our local paper about Finley and our work with the foundation.  The author did a nice job capturing the big picture.  I have already gotten a few emails from people I don't know saying that the article really touched them and they offered to help in any way they could.  Like I always say - people want to be charitable - they just need to be given a direction.
My mom and I worked this week on a list of people we are going to send invites to our first dinner in the dark in Connellsville this year.  It is going to be so fun.  We are going to hold them at my parents house - so if you are interested in this experience, look for more information soon!  The concept is, of course - eating in the dark to represent what it is like for a totally blind person to eat a meal.  And when I say dark, I mean can't see your hand in front of your face dark.  This is a big concept for the blind community - a really unique fundraiser.  It is a humbling experience and I hope you are willing to try it!  Stay tuned - we will be doing them all over - Connellsville, Indian Head, Monongahela, and here in our new home town.  All will be intimate dinners of 16-18 people at a time.  You have to try it.  I can't wait to share this experience with you.
Tomorrow is morning soccer, a craft fair, and hopefully nice weather to spend time in the yard.  The leaves are starting to turn beautiful colors and fall to the ground, so pretty soon it will be time for raking and jumping into the giant piles.  Looking forward to that.

Sort of.

No comments: