Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Perspective

Today, I don't have much to say.  Many things are happening around here, and none really worth blogging about.  I have been working hard on the bracelets (thanks to all of you who have ordered so far!) and the braille pictures in frames for the holiday bazaar.  I have had a Garden Club meeting this morning which was a ton of fun as always.  Yesterday I had my monthly breakfast as my friend's house, and we had a great time catching up.

But in between that, things are going on (not personally, but around us) that makes me want to just remind everyone to put things into perspective.  There will always been opinions we don't agree with, things that don't go our way, and people that we don't get along with all the time.

But in those times where you are SURE you are in the right, and your way is the only way, I ask you to think of our Finley.  I ask you to put yourself in her shoes.  The shoes of being 5 years old and going blind and not knowing what is happening to her.  To listen to her say she is afraid of the dark.  To watch her trip over things that are so obvious to you and I.  To walk in a dark room, feeling your way to the door, knowing that for a child who is blind, opening the door will not bring the relief of light.

This is what I do when I start to lose perspective.  Where I let petty people and petty things get under my skin and keep me awake at night.  I think about what is really important and what I need to focus my energy on.  And it is nothing but my family, our foundation, and our strive to stop blindness in our daughter.

That is the bottom line.

Then, I can let the rest go.  I can remember that whatever it was that got me "excited" wasn't worth it in the first place.  That I think of Finley's sweet face looking at mine and giving me a giggle, and know that is all that matters.  That she always sees me when she looks at me.

And the rest just falls away.

No comments: