Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Puppy School without the puppy

Tonight was the first class of puppy school.  I signed Scooby (and myself) up for Puppy Kindergarten because I know he needs it.  And I need it because I already have three children.  And a husband.  I don't need a crazy animal to add to our circus.

Yesterday we got a call remind us about puppy school but to please not bring the puppy.  Say what?  No - the first class was only for owners.  I thought it was weird, but once I was there, it made sense.  The class last an hour and tonight we talked about all the things we were going to work on and we need to make a list of habits we want to se go bye-bye.  (I could name about 100.  All involving chewing).

So next Tuesday - Scooby and I will go to class with 3 other dogs - a baby lab, a baby poodle, a baby boxer.  Should be interesting.  We are the only mutt.  Goody.

Speaking of Scooby - he is getting big.  He is 3 months old now.  We are still working on some basic commands.  He has sit, really well.  And when we are inside, he comes when we call him.  Outside - he comes to us......eventually.  But he doesn't wander far.  He can sit on the porch, unleashed, for hours and just watch the world go by.  He likes to be near us.  He has decreased the demand barking for attention he thought was a good idea.  A couple times of ignoring him, he got the idea.  He is learning to stay.  He needs a hair cut already - I can barely see his eyes.  His favorite game is rolling in the leaves.  He is a great dog.  But he is still a puppy and he likes to chew on everything.  This class will be just what we need.  And the best part?  You can keep going with class after class until you get the end result you are looking for.  I am all for that.

No comments: